Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Penalty Protection

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Iligan City, Cagayan de Oro Philippines


It wasn’t really a leisure trip, but a plant visit to consider as part of the work I’m involved in the office. We were invited by a steel industry client to check their facilities to help them defend their position on a case they filed against imported products particularly from Russia, Korea and … wait, I’m done with all these research and investigation stuff, ok we just checked if we can help them win or lose the case that’s all.

We traveled by plane because the province is located in the northern part of Mindanao. You take bus or you’ll suffer almost 3 days traveling and no way to that. Mindanao is one of the 3 main islands of Philippines situated in the south and I can say most people here are Muslims. I really have nothing against these people but the moment we left the company mansion and visit the plant, we were already body guarded by 3 armed men. Our client said that they usually protect their visitors as there are no guarantee of security, knowing all the abductions happening in that place, most people suddenly went missing. That was very sweet of them actually! But I’m not comfortable though, I was just trying to buy roasted nuts as a present and these tall men are all behind me!

As we finally checked the plantation, we were taken to glimpse one of the highlights of the province … the famous Maria Cristina Falls. I was pretty surprised when I saw it, where is the water falling?! I only witnessed some few drips and they explained that there are some mechanical devices assembled on top of the falls to control the flow of the water as they use it as an additional power source in the region. We were asked if we want to see the real flow of the falls and of course we said yes. After granting our wish we did see nothing but mist. The water gushed down with too much current and created a mist surrounding the nearby area. Splendid it was. After that we were also brought to another waterfall they called “Tinago”. Tinago is a tagalog word meaning “Hidden”, and you really have to trail down a mountain just to see it, literally it was hidden! It’s just a small waterfall, some people are enjoying and bathing and the journey back to the top was a hell trail I believe.

Cagayan de Oro that time was just starting to become highly industrialized as investors came in and set-up their plants particularly cement and iron and steel. Another clean and disciplined place I’ve experienced but I have no idea if the issue of abductions is still rampant nowadays, maybe not anymore.

I will never EVER, EVER trade the wonders my country has to offer!

(image link: http://www.issavalles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/maria-christina-falls-sm.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment