Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Penalty Protection

Monday, February 2, 2009

Ilocos Sur, Santa (Philippines)


That was late 1994 when I was invited by a close friend to see her place in the northern part of the Philippines (again) and believe me…they live in an island, just a small island indeed. It took 8 hours of bus trip from Manila to the province, and I can say this is my first island trip. Once you arrived in the bus station, you have to walk few meters to the pier-like shore to transport you to this place. The boats are actually fishing boats, not ferry-like (I have no idea if they upgraded it now). So if the weather is not ok, windy and the water is kinda surf-like, you have to wait until it calms again so you can be delivered to your destination safe and sound, and of course, breathing.

When we arrived at the place, there were two dogs waiting for us at the shore. They are my friend’s pets actually, and these dogs walked with us until we reached the house and there I was introduced to my friend’s grandma, her aunts, uncles and few more dogs at the backyard. What a doggy family! Dinner … and I can’t believe what my friend showed me in a casserole, a squirming 1.5 cm squid! And then later a kind neighbor came and gave us fresh fish, yes they’re fresh because they’re still moving. In few minutes the power went-off. Ok it was called electric shutdown in that island but I was fortunate enough my friend’s house is supported by a generator and we are the only glowing house that night. We sliced the squid, sautéed it, fried the fish and the dinner went well. Cup of tea afterwards and then off to sleep. The next morning, it’s beach time!

I was carrying stuffs and the dogs were walking ahead of us. Then suddenly we reached and saw them standing still and not moving. Why? Ok, there is this bigger dog blocking our way and it seems like our two dogs are too scared to dare pass through. There ain’t no commotion between them, but I can see even my friend is not moving at all. So, I picked a stick and shoo the bigger dog so we can pass unharmed and peacefully …but then this bigger dog showed me his teeth. Suddenly I found myself alone already. Ah no, my friend and her 2 dogs are behind me.

There was an old stupid myth that was told to me by a drunken neighbor before saying that if you’ve been approached by an angry dog, you should do the same thing, gnarl and show him your teeth as well. I took the risk. Though I looked stupid but it did work, the dog sped off! Really! After that incident my friend’s pets became so close to me during my stay. They swam and played with me on the beach like I’m their new owner. A myth that worked when tried, with no scientific proof but I won’t dare to risk again next time.

Until now If I’m walking with my friends and passing thru some houses, and there are these dogs barking at us and yet they’re inside the gate, I still do the same thing. I growl back to them that made them annoy and angry and scares my friends even more. Just for fun!

(image link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eugedaman/3103882229/)

No comments:

Post a Comment